יום שישי, 29 ביולי 2011

Nabi Saleh terrorized. Again


Last week I was arrested when I was trying to get into the village,
which is subjected to a closed military zone that starts every friday morning.
That warrant is unreasonable: how can one declare that an entire village,
owned by its people, is practically confiscated for hours just to prevent people from gathering.
That is one of the privileges the martial laws grants the army: they have the ability to disrupt any aspect of people's daily living according to their judjement.
So this week I came the day before and stayed the night over.
I came to be with the kind, warm, friendly, generous, brave, formidable, great hospitality, noble people of Nabi Saleh.
I was so happy when people recognized me from
past times I've been in the village and called me by my Arabic name, Kibrita (match).


*pause*
I am sitting at my home, wondering what good it is to write about one of the most highly-covered conflict ,
after so many has been written already.
 Than I have the feeling that I am writing things done out of my own selfish need to be heard.

Right now I don't feel I have something big or important to tell the word about myself and my personal life.I'm nobody,
but I got the chance to be around great people,
and witness certain events that are greater than me,
so I use it as an opportunity to form my own opinion,
my own view, my course about them.
*Back to where I was*

Staying the night over in Nabi Saleh was an overwhelming experience for me. Sometimes people touch my heart so every gesture they make towards me make me so happy. I felt welcomed.
We arrived at the night of Tawjih, celebration of the end of school term.
The village held two parties, separated between boys and girls.
I saw firecrackers in the skies. People was sitting outside their houses, smoking Nargilas (hubbly Bubbly they called it).
I discovered that I can speak Arabic better than I thought and even managed to run several conversations with people.
They have shared with me some of their suffering from the occupation, telling me which person of their family was arrested and who was shot.
A 6 years old girl showed me an empty shell of a live bullet.
I've heard about a person who went to Jordan and that was the first time his children saw the sea, that is so close to them, but they are forbidden (mamnou3in) for coming in.
I think in Nabi Saleh everyone either spent time in prison/ have a relative that's currently arrested. ): Sijan (jail) is a word heard ofter.
Everytime I've heard about a person that was arrested,
the only reaction I could think of: I wish they'd taken me instead of them.
I am single, those people have families to provide, and I also felt guilty and ashamed, coming from the occupying side.

I discovered that I can speak/ understand arabic better than I thought
; spent some time with the Tamimis, hearing  so many heart breaking stories.
I made the kids laugh out loud hiding my face and showing them again.
How could those kids be enemies?

*Pause*
I am not feeling comfortable to write about people I've visited because I did not ask for permission. Another thing, I that those people might get into trouble for allowing an Israeli citizen in.

*Back*


In the morning, we couldn't even get from where we were staying into the village without having tear gas shot at us. They wouldn't even let us move quietly inside the village, let alone gather and march. When we tried to make several steps, we were met with high velocity tear gas canisters shot in direct aiming towards us. We were showered with tear gas.
At some point I found myself against a wall,
canisters flying over my head, between my legs & arms.
I was choking and couldn't see anything. 
Seth took my hand, and than a local man showed us to safety.
I came there to be in solidarity with the Palestinians and ended up being supported by them.
My skin was burning..
" Murderers" my friend shouted at them,
for this method of shooting is forbidden even according to the IOF's code.
At that point I felt sheer terror: helpless
, not knowing what will happen next,
facing random outbursts of brutality.
I was afraid that if the soldiers see me, I'll be arrested once again.
I was even too scared to leave the house I was staying at.
I felt a huge frustration, facing the denial of people's right to non- violent protest.

As we regrouped in a yard,
some people were singing Palestinian freedom songs
The soldiers went inside the village.
Last time I've heard they pointed pistols at people as they raided houses.
They arrested David, the photographer.
I saw them beating him and tearing his shirt off.
They also broke his camera. 
I heard that two other Palestinians were arrested, 
as well as three international solidarity activists.
 I also heard that an International activist was injured.
One of the Palestinians that were arrested was told he is being taken for having people from outside the village in his home. This is my house and I can have anyone I want as a guest, the man replied. 
Later on  during the day  he was released.
There was not a shred of violence coming from the villagers during the day.
Yet occasionally there were flares of violence coming from the soldiers,unprovoked.
Every once in a while they threw stun grenades & tear gas canisters.
 Finally I was given some  evidence to the "hostility" of the village's people: it occurred to me that 4 people in the village are serving life time verdicts in prison for their actions during the past intifada. 
Even so, those people are already jailed- what's
the point of  violently grow the hatred?

LATER ON I'VE HEARD THAT MY FRIEND, JOURNALIST AND PHOTOGRAPHER MOHEEB BARGHOUTI WAS SEVERLY BEATEN IN HIS HEAD AND WAS CUFFED AND ARRESTED. HE WAS TAKEN TO A HOSPITAL.THE SOLDIERS BROKE HIS CAMERA TOO. I AM SO SORRY FOR MOHEEB, AN INTELLECTUAL AND MAN OF PEACE, SHAME ON THE PEOPLE WHO DID THAT TO HIM.





אין תגובות: